Sunday, September 30, 2012

What's Your Favourite Game Genre?

I spend enough time talking about myself so I thought I'd ask you something about yourself.  What are your favourite game genres?  Is it the magic and mystery of mystical fantasy?  The might and magic of traditional fantasy?  Political intrigue in urban fantasy or epic fantasy?  Horror?  Perhaps it isn't the genre that you're playing right now but the sort of game you're most hankering for right now.  If someone asked you, "If you could play any sort of game right now, what would you play?"

For me I think it would be Werewolf: the Forsaken in a post-apocalyptic Fallout-style world.  1950s meets the future is pretty awesome.

7 comments:

  1. Hmm, I think a low-fantasy setting is my favorite. Hints of magic, but something very dangerous to tamper with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also prefer low magic fantasy settings where much about magic remains a mystery. I also like some technology mixed in with my magic that results in a hint of fantasy steampunk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pseudo-medieval D&D, Sci-fi, cinematic action-adventure, are my usual preferences.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Traditional fantasy would definitely scratch the itch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like horror, particularly post-apocalyptic survival horror. When I do play fantasy, I also prefer low fantasy. In general, I like games with low-powered, ordinary people up against forces far mightier than they are.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When playing, I like a dark and low fantasy kind of feel. If you've read them, the books of Joe Abercrombie sum it nicely. If I'm running, I like to GM horror/investigation kind of games.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whatever I run or play ends up having elements of horror and sections of investigation in it. In certain games like the Flashpoint Campaign I have to keep veering away from the horror so that its just a flavoring for atmosphere rather than an aim to terrorise (look at Castlevania 64) and ensure that all investigative / espionage elements are strictly optional. Sure, there's a place for them but the style of game I'm going for is meant to encourage action adventure as the baseline and frequent fall back point.

    ReplyDelete