Saturday, February 15, 2014

Developing a One Shot: Am I digging my own unmarked grave?


Oddly enough for a game that is set to re-launch an existing campaign, I've decided to go with a historical session. "Are you mad?!" I hear you saying. The players will change things! There will be unexpected divergences in the timeline.

For fear of giving anything away, let's just say that I've already factored in that possibility and look forward to it. I'll give you guys an update after the session to show how I managed any changes (if any came). Of course, knowing my players there's every chance that it'll all go according to the historical plan.

So that's the detriment. What about the benefits?

Historical sessions allow dress ups. Need I say more?

No, really, a lot of folks who want to play vampire really see it as an excuse to also wear historical clothing. That's why you might see the vampiress in the Victorian dress and even the man in the Medieval wear. Does it make sense to have a few anachronisms to walk about? Especially if the fashion is clearly skewed towards black street wear?

Maybe not, but it's fun.

In this case, everyone is strongly encouraged to wear historical clothing that matches a particular era. The clothing they wear and the ideas they have can really put together a very fascinating visual scene and so long as I pick an era that is post-1920s it's not too hard to dress for if you're willing to check out a few opportunity shops. Hell, a high-necked blouse and knee-length woollen skirt could work for multiple eras, though it might not be the high fashion for them.

Besides, it may attract folks who are interested in the historical nature of the game, even if they wouldn't normally LARP. It provides a firmer connection to murder mysteries, as well, which isn't a bad thing considering some of the plot lines (and no, this isn't yet another Who Killed The Prince game).

And most importantly, I want to see folks dressed up and looking brilliant.

No comments:

Post a Comment